As Australia’s largest manufacturer of sterilants, disinfectants and professional cleaning technologies, Whiteley have been protecting lives and livelihoods since 1933. In 2023, Whiteley celebrates 90 years of business and best practise, continuing its commitment to innovation in technology and service.
Take a trip with us down memory lane as we recognise our rich history and 90 years of achievements.
In 1933, the Australian General Disinfectant Company (AGDC) was founded; this marked the beginning of Whiteley Corporation. The AGDC supplied hygiene products and processes for the entertainment industry and public amenities. The company progressively developed a complete range of deodorants, disinfectants, insecticides, pest control chemicals and cleaning products, becoming the first Australian company to specialise in what are known today as Sanitation chemicals.
During the years of the Second World War, the product range of the AGDC was extended to include personal hygiene products including antiseptics for the war efforts.
During the 1950s, the product range expanded to include chemical products for building maintenance. The manufacture of floor sealers, polishers and waxes for hard floors became a major objective of the AGDC. The company has made many advances in introducing improved methods for floor maintenance, expanding to a range that includes soft flooring and carpet care.
The AGDC made a significant contribution to the formulation of the first chemical trade organisation – the Association of Sanitation Chemical Manufacturers.
In 1971, the Whiteley family became involved in the business initially through Mr Reginald K Whiteley. The Whiteley family then acquired the controlling interest in the company with Mr Reginald K Whiteley having a more active involvement. Throughout the 70’s his son Greg commences permanent work within the business and in 1976, the company name is changed to Whiteley Chemicals Australia.
In 1987, research collaboration with Sydney University and Professor Yvonne Cossart leads to the launch of key products in the Whiteley portfolio, including AIDAL PLUS® and Viraclean®.
In 1995, the company transferred its manufacturing to a purpose-built, world-class facility at Tomago, in the hunter region of New South Wales.
The site is licensed by Standards Australia, the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) and other relevant regulatory authorities.
In 2002, after extensive years of research and development, Whiteley launched Matrix® Biofilm Remover. Matrix® is a success story for the company as it was the first proven wet surface biofilm remover launched and the result of collaborative research with the University of Sydney. The ongoing research and commitment continues to support Matrix® reputation in the field.
In March, 2005 Whiteley Industries changes its name to Whiteley Corporation Pty Ltd. This was a strategic decision aimed at better encapsulating both the medical and industrial divisions of the organisation
In 2016, Whiteley launched the world’s first dry surface biofilm remover, Surfex, and proudly won awards for the innovative technology that contributed to the launch.
The SARS-CoV2 pandemic resulted in substantial growth for the business, proudly recognised locally through Hunter Business Awards and Hunter Manufacturer awards.
In June 2023, Whiteley Corporation recognises and celebrates 90 years of business. Looking forward, Whiteley will continue to achieve high standards in manufacturing, distribution, and technical support. Our business remains committed to innovation, best practise and protecting lives and livelihoods.
Stay up to date on the latest Whiteley news on research, collaborations, events, product advancements and news from the various industry sectors we work.