This course provides an overview of the importance of hand hygiene, surface cleaning and disinfecting and correct product selection to address the outcome required in acute patient care settings. Included in this course are links to clinical data, Safe Work Australia websites, demonstration videos, links to wall charts, a short quiz and certificate on completion.
Key Learning outcomes from this course:
- Understand what considerations are required for Infection Prevention in Acute Healthcare
- Understand the guidelines and federal requirements for Infection Prevention in Acute Healthcare
- Recognise and respond to an outbreak
- Product selection based on outcome required
Please contact us if you have any questions relating to this course.
- Links to Infection Prevention standards and guidelines etc.
- Clinical papers which reflect the content.
- Demonstration videos
- Product selection guides
- Product SDS and technical bulletins.
Guidelines associated with Infection Prevention in Healthcare:
This learning module has been developed based on the requirements for the prevention and control of infection in healthcare outlined in the following:
NHMRC – Australian Guidelines for the Prevention and Control of Infection in Healthcare 2019 https://www.nhmrc.gov.au/about-us/publications/australian-guidelines-prevention-and-control-infection-healthcare-2019
ACSQHC – National Safety and Quality Health Service Standards – Standard 3 Preventing and Controlling Healthcare-associated Infection Standard https://www.safetyandquality.gov.au/standards/nsqhs-standards
- Healthcare-Associated Infections (HAI) are the most common complication affecting patients in hospitals in Australia (NHMRC). Most are preventable rather than being unpredictable complications.
- ANY person working or entering a healthcare facility is at risk of transmitting infection and/or being infected. (NHMRC)
- Infection Prevention is the responsibility of everyone who works in, or visits, a healthcare facility!
At the end of this learning module, the participant will be able to:
- Identify what causes infection.
- Explain why prevention of infection, particularly within acute healthcare settings, is important.
- Describe how to prevent infection in the acute Health Care setting (both inpatient and outpatient).
- Choose the correct Hand Hygiene and Environmental cleaning products for their situation.
- Recognise and take initial steps to manage an outbreak.